Love handles or muffin tops are the fancy names given to a most celebrated health problem – the fat pockets. Once developed, they stubbornly maintain no matter how much exercise or diet we do. However, there are various aesthetic procedures that can help to get rid of these love handles, and the latest to join the list is the fat freezing technology with its simple non-invasive nature and visible permanent results.
How do love-handles form?
Love handles are the notorious fatty tissue deposits around our waist area that keep popping or bulging out of the jeans. Well-fitted clothes may make them appear more prominent.
Love handles can develop due to:
- Processed food
- Increasing age (belly fat accumulation due to decreased metabolism)
- Higher cortisol levels (an after-effect of constant stress)
- Lack of physical activity
- Disturbed sleep
- Underlying thyroid deficiency (thyroid is a major regulator of basal metabolism)
How does fat freezing work on love handles?
Fat freezing or cryolipolysis is a non-surgical procedure wherein the targeted fatty tissue is subjected to freezing temperatures triggering the death of fat cells. These are later removed by natural elimination process of the body.
Additionally, it can address small fat pouches found in hard-to-reach areas of the body and bring back the slim-toned contour.
- flanks (love handles),
- upper arms,
- bra-line area,
- shoulder blades,
- chin, and
- under the buttocks (banana rolls), etc.
What to expect with fat freezing
It begins with a consultation with your doctor who will assess the problematic areas and create a treatment plan based on your goals and realistic expectations.
The typical day of treatment can look like this:
With fat freezing, around 20 to 25% fat from your love handles is gone forever. Cryolipolysis can be repeated multiple times until the desired amount of fat is removed.
Are there any side effects?
These freezing techniques are clinically tested and considered safe. Though as with any aesthetic treatment, there may be some side effects. If done in a reputable aesthetic clinic and in the hands of an experienced aesthetic doctor, these side effects can be greatly reduced.
Common side effects may include:
- Discomfort due to cold which can be easily taken care of.
- Bruising, redness, soreness, numbness or tingling sensations which settle on themselves in 4-7 days.
- Rarely some nerves may continue with the state of numbness for next few weeks, but no long-term issues have been registered yet.
- Mild diarrhea may be seen initially as the body disposes of the broken-down fat.
- Very rarely, treated fat may turn hard forming a lump beneath the skin. This condition is referred to as paradoxical adipose hyperplasia (PAH).
What are the benefits of fat freezing for love handles?
Fat freezing is one of the most popular techniques to remove unwanted fat even from the difficult to reach areas like love-handles, chin, etc. in a non-invasive, non-surgical manner with some added benefits!
- Targeted approach: Localized areas are directly addressed to maximize effects.
- Lunch-break procedure: Can be completed within minutes and provisions can be made for addressing multiple positions in a single setting.
- No damage to the adjacent skin or tissue.
- No downtime: You are on your foot immediately after the procedure with no restrictions or medications (pain-reliever) to be taken. You can even drive or hit a gym directly there-after.
- Permanent effects: Fat cells that are destroyed cannot regenerate or return to the affected area, however fat can be replaced. Thus, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet for optimal fat loss is essential.
- Safe controlled cooling with no major side-effects.
- Visible results after 1 session.
- Cost-effective: No major surgery is required.
What are the different fat freezing devices available?
Of the multiple tools available, the top 3 fat freezing devices are CoolSculpting, CoolTech, and Clatuu.
|Introduced in||2008||2016 (latest)||2015|
|Safety and reliability||FDA-approved for fat reduction. |
Developed by Harvard scientists.
and clinically proven.
|Peer-reviewed publications||> 100||3||Not known|
|Built-in safety or monitoring systems||++||—||—|
|360o temperature control for rapid and effective cooling||—||++||++|
|No. of sites treated in 1 session||3 areas at a time||4 sites at a time||2 sites at a time|
|Applicators||10 applicators||9 applicators||2 applicators|
|Speed||Fastest; 35 min/session||60min/session||60min/session|
|Size of applicator||Larger and broader applicator. Good for abdominal front.||Smaller but deeper, covers depth. Good for flanks.||Limited. No small size.|
Who can benefit from fat-freezing?
Fat reduction is not a female-only department. Both men and women struggle with love handles. By removing love handles and slimming down thighs, fat freezing empowers women with a confidence of an hour-glass figure whereas men get back their attractive toned masculine appearance by slimming down the flanks and abdomen.
What makes me an ideal candidate?
An ideal candidate should:
- Have noticeable and pinchable stubborn love-handles
- Be in good health
- Have body weight within 25 to 30 pounds of ideal weight
- Have a healthy diet with a good exercise routine
- Not be pregnant or breastfeeding
- Not be suffering from chronic pains, skin inflammation, cryoglobulinemia, allergies, Raynaud’s disease, any nerve conditions, chilblains, allergy to propylene glycol or isopropyl alcohol, or taking blood thinners
- Know that the treatment is not suitable for treating obesity or to cause any sort of weight loss.
How much does fat freezing of love handles cost?
It depends on the site and area, the amount of fat to be debulked and the number of sessions required. Considering all these points, only a physician can decide the final price.
Fat freezing treatments in Singapore that cost between $350 to $700 per session is considered good. A lesser or higher amount should raise an alarm. Be sure to seek credible aesthetic clinics and read the reviews on their fat freezing treatments before considering.
If you are ready to crush the love handles once and for all, fat freezing is an excellent method to help you get back to your dream figure in a non-invasive manner.